How did Ed Thorp Win in Blackjack and the Stock Market
May 25, 2011 – 09:13 am
My earlier post laid out some important lessons on behavioral economics learned from Santa Fe Institute’s conference on Risk: the Human Factor. The specific lecture that first caught my eye when I saw the roster was Edward Thorp’s discussion on the Kelly Capital Growth Criterion for Risk Control. I had read the book Fortune’s Formula and was fascinated by one of the core concepts of the book: the Kelly Criterion for capital appreciation. Over time, I have incorporated Kelly into my position-sizing criteria, and was deeply interested in learning from the first man who deployed Kelly in investing. It's been mentioned that both Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger discussed Kelly with Thorp and used it in their own investment process. Thus, I felt it necessary to give this particular lecture more attention.
In its simplest form, the Kelly Criterion is stated as follows:
The optimal Kelly wager = (p*(b+1)—1) / b where p is the probability (% chance of an event happening) and b is the odds received upon winning ($b per every $1 wagered).
It was Ed Thorp who first applied the Kelly Criterion in blackjack and then in the stock market. The following is what I learned from his presentation at SFI.
The San Xavier Indian Reservation (O'odham: Wa:k) is located near Tucson, Arizona in the Sonoran Desert. It is the smaller eastern section of the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation, the homeland of the tribe known as the Tohono O'odham Nation.
The San Xavier Reservation lies in the southwestern part of the Tucson metropolitan area and consists...
You might also like
Lunch Buffet with Jer, Blackjack
Virtual Casino - Electronic Casino Game by Excalibur - Video Poker & Blackjack
Toy (Excalibur Electronics Inc.)
- Enjoy the excitement of your favorite casino games, Blackjack or Poker! Large LCD screen!
- Hear the roar of virtual players, their cards shuffling, and see the brilliant light effect running around the display!
- Playing Blackjack or Poker, you ll begin losing just like you were really there! (Just kidding.)
- Great for practicing up and honing your skills before a trip to an actual casino!
- It s you against the house! (Buffet not included.)
"Lucky" Party Banners, Green (Set of 12) Cupcake Toppers - Dessert Buffets, St. Patricks Day Celebrations
Grocery (Food with Fashion)
- 12 Decorative Cupcake Toppers Included - 12 High Quality Banner Flags (2.75 x .75 ) & 12 Durable, Flat Wooden Picks (3.5 )
- Versatile! Use as Food Appetizer Toothpicks, Fruit Skewers, Croissant Sandwich Picks, Cake Toppers, Cupcake Picks, Drink Stirrer, Cocktail Mixer or Martini Swizzle...
- Easily Insert Wooden Food Pick Into Pre-Slotted Flag Banners for a Quick & Easy Gourmet Decoration on Any Party Food!
- Fun Party Decoration for Candy Buffets, Wedding Favors, Dessert Tables, Food Presentation, Relish Tray Garnishes, Kids Birthday Parties, Baby Showers, Graduation...
- Striped Product Design & Lettering Appear on Front Side of Banner - Reverse Side is Plain White
How to bet the blackjack dealer? | Yahoo Answers
The dealer is only the dealer. He/she is not allowed to make or take any personal bets for or against the players.